Toll free 866-584-1032
Local 316-269-2500
Toll free866-584-1032
Free Case Consultation
There is no fee, unless you win
Set up a Free Consultation with one of the members of our team.
Call (866) 584-1032, (316) 269-2500 or send us an email.

What You Need to Know About Insurance Companies - Contact Our Kansas Attorneys If You Have Questions

If you are in a serious car accident, you very likely will have to deal with an insurance adjuster. While you simply want to be treated fairly and get the full compensation for your losses, the insurance companies have other plans. Insurance company adjusters and their attorneys typically work hard to keep compensation to an absolute minimum. They will dispute claims and mount questionable defenses to reduce or deny claims.

When accidents happen, even when the other driver clearly caused the accident, insurance companies are often reluctant to compensate people for the true cost of their accident. Insurance companies may want only to pay for some of your car repairs. They may try to delay paying you for medical care or physical rehabilitation. And convincing insurance companies to compensate people for lost income as a result of an auto accident can often be very hard.

What Type of Coverage is Required in Kansas?

Kansas car insurance laws require all drivers to purchase the following types of coverage:

Liability Insurance: To cover costs related to injuries and property damage sustained by others in an accident you cause. Liability coverage must meet the following requirements:

  • Bodily injury, per person: $25,000
  • Total bodily injury (if multiple people get hurt): $50,000
  • Property damage: $10,000

Personal Injury Protection (PIP): Because of Kansas's status as a no-fault state, PIP coverage does not consider fault in the event of an accident. Accident-related injuries are covered first under PIP coverage. Drivers are required to carry the following minimums per accident:

  • Medical costs: $4,500 per person
  • Disability/loss of income: $900 per month for one year
  • In-home services: $25 per day
  • Funeral, cremation or burial expenses: $2,000
  • Rehabilitation: $4,500

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist: This important coverage helps pay for injuries if involved in an accident with drivers who lack insurance or don't carry adequate amounts of insurance to cover the cost of your injuries. Uninsured/Underinsured coverage must meet the following minimum limits per accident:

  • Bodily injury, per person: $25,000
  • Total injuries (if multiple people are hurt): $50,000

Optional types of car insurance in Kansas include:

Collision: Coverage to help recover damages to your car due to a car accident.

Comprehensive: Coverage to help recover damages to your car due to other events than a traffic collision.

Towing and Labor: Coverage to help cover towing and labor costs after an accident.

Rental Reimbursement: Coverage to reimburse accident victims for vehicles rented.

Back to Top

Filing an Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Claim

Uninsured drivers who cause accidents may not be able to pay for your losses, but you may have legal options after a car accident. Generally, the most direct way to recover for your losses after an accident with an uninsured motorist involves making a claim against your own uninsured motorist policy. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is legally required in Kansas to protect drivers involved in accidents with drivers who lack insurance or don't carry enough to cover the cost of your injuries.

Unfortunately, the experienced legal team at Warner Law Offices understands that not every insurance company is ready to respond in the way you deserve. You may face a dispute over your uninsured or underinsured motorist claim. If you are injured or sustain property loss in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist, it's smart to talk to an experienced law firm in Wichita that can protect your rights.

If you are forced off the road by a careless driver who does not actually strike your car, but who leaves the scene of the accident after your car is in a ditch, you may have a hard time pursuing a claim. Insurance companies may try to claim that the accident was entirely your fault because you do not know the identity of the driver who forced you off the road. In some cases, your insurance company may be acting in bad faith, and you may be eligible for compensation.

Back to Top

Warner Law Offices: A Name You Can Trust to Make Things Right

Attorneys Thomas M. Warner and Anne H. Pankratz have more than 50 years of combined experience standing up for the rights of injury victims in Wichita and across Kansas. We have a proven track record of success obtaining accident victims the compensation they need - and deserve - to get life back on track. Discover the difference our experienced legal team can make. Contact Warner Law Offices today. Call 866-584-1032 for a free case evaluation with one of our team members.

Warner Law Offices
Set up a Free Consultation with one of the members of our team.
Call us 24/7 at (316) 269-2500, (800) 815-5297 or send us an email.
FreeConsultationClick Here